Privacy and Security
Where required by law, we will provide you privacy information (in the form of a Privacy Notice or other privacy disclosure documentation) specific to the products or services you want to obtain from us or specific to your dealings with us.
What is 'personal information'?
Personal information is information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable:
- whether the information or opinion is true or not; and
- whether the information or opinion is recorded in a material form or not.
What kinds of personal information do we collect and hold?
The personal information collected and maintained by Allianz Global Assistance generally includes your name, address, date of birth, gender, contact details including telephone number and email address, as well as additional information specific to the product or service provided to you including (but not limited to) medical information, country of origin, residency status, visa type (for overseas visitors and students), motor vehicle details, and health and/or property information. For some products and services, we collect, use, and maintain personal information that is sensitive information. This includes information about your health and pre-existing medical conditions, genetics, membership of any professional associations or groups and racial or ethnic information where it is relevant to the product or service we provide.
For employment applications, we collect your name, address, contact details, current and past employment information, educational qualifications and professional associations. We also collect information about and proof of your residency status, the name and contact details of your referees and other information required for recruitment purposes. Where we seek your consent to conduct a background check, we also collect details of your proof of identity from you.
How do we collect your personal information?
Where it is possible, we collect your personal information directly from you in person, in writing, over the telephone, by facsimile, through our or our agents and partners online services and websites and/or by electronic messages including email and SMS. In some circumstances, we may also collect it from:
- your agents or representatives, for example your insurance broker, your legal advisers, your family members or travelling companions who act on your behalf or who apply for a travel policy or other services that cover or apply to you, or from other persons instructed by you to deal with us;
- third parties who you have asked or permitted to provide your personal information (including sensitive information) to us, including your referees, universities and other educational institutions that you attend, doctors, hospitals, and medical assistance providers;
- third parties from whom you purchase goods and services including motor vehicle manufacturers and distributors, ticketing organisations, insurers, and other entities who engage us to provide or offer additional products and services such as roadside assistance services, ticket insurance, extended warranty insurance for whitegoods and other household items, and motor vehicle reduction excess insurance;
- our agents (including travel agents) and service providers, some of whom are located in countries other than Australia;
- insurers (including Allianz^) and insurance reference bureaus;
- people who are involved in a claim or assist us in assessing, investigating, processing or settling claims, including third parties claiming under your policy, witnesses, medical service providers, external claims data collectors and verifiers, and your employer;
- third parties who may be arranging insurance cover for a group that you are a part of;
- law enforcement, dispute resolution, statutory and regulatory bodies;
- marketing organisations, including through the use of purchased lists;
- industry databases;
- publicly available sources such as the Internet and telephone directories; and/or
- the general public when it is unsolicited and may be relevant to a particular policy, service, or fraud investigation.
Unless we are required or permitted by law to collect sensitive information about you, we will only do so where you have given consent.
If you decide to complete or partially complete an online application form, where permitted by law, the information that you enter into the online form may be used by us to contact you to see if you are interested in our products or services.
We record telephone calls for administration and quality assurance purposes. If you do not want your call or personal information recorded, please advise us and we will attempt to make alternate arrangements suitable to you.
We may collect information about your visit to our site to assist us to measure and improve our website. Examples of information that we collect include: day and time of your visit, whether you have visited our website previously, whether you used a search engine to find us and some geographical information about what country and State you are in.
We use analytical web tools such as Google Analytics to collect visitor information so that we can better understand how to improve our products and services for you. One of the primary methods used by this tool is the placement of cookies. Cookies are small information files that an end user’s web browser places on their computer when a website is visited. For information on disabling these cookies, please go to the privacy settings section within your browser. In addition to the session cookie, Google Analytics uses other data collection methods such as appending query strings to an image request. We store the data generated by Google Analytics securely and do not share it with third parties.
We also use other external companies for the following purposes:
- for web hosting services for this website; and/or
- to gather non-personal information (using cookies) in order to evaluate the website’s effectiveness, for example online marketing activities.
We retain the content of any email that you send to us to enable us to provide our products and services, or if we believe we have a legal requirement to do so. Your email message content may be monitored by our employees for security issues including where email abuse is suspected, and our response to you may be monitored for quality assurance issues.
For what purposes do we collect, hold and use your personal information?
We collect, hold and use your personal information for the purposes of providing our products and services and managing our business. This may include:
- arranging and managing insurance products (including travel, ticket, and extended warranty insurance products), roadside assistance services, overseas student and visitors health cover, and health and property services;
- managing and offering renewals and continuity of our products and services;
- assessing risks and monitoring product performance;
- assessing, investigating, processing and settling claims;
- marketing our services and products and those of our related companies, brokers, intermediaries and business partners that may interest you;
- conducting customer research and analytics in relation to our service and products, and improving our service and products;
- handling complaints and disputes, and managing litigation;
- training our employees, agents and representatives;
- detecting, investigating and preventing fraud;
- identifying and contacting individuals who do business with us; and/or
- assessing and processing employment applications and managing employment disputes.
Personal information (including sensitive information) collected for workers compensation claims made by employees will only be used in connection with such claims or as required by regulation or law.
Who do we disclose your personal information to and why?
We may disclose your personal information to others for the purposes specified in the section above. This may include disclosure to:
- our related and group companies including Allianz^;
- our distributors and agents;
- other insurers and reinsurers;
- insurance reference bureaus;
- government, law enforcement, dispute resolution, statutory, regulatory or enforcement bodies and agencies;
- external data collection and verification agencies;
- loss adjusters and assessors;
- repairers and suppliers;
- investigators and recovery agents;
- your travel agent
- medical and health service providers, case managers and rehabilitation consultants;
- our advisers (including legal, actuary and accounting advisers) and service providers, including marketing organisations and debt collecting agents;
- professional and other organisations;
- your employer;
- parties that we have an insurance scheme or other arrangement in place with under which you purchased your policy or obtained a service, such as a financier or motor vehicle manufacturer or dealer;
- the agent and contractor of any of the third parties above; and/or
- other parties as required by law.
We may also disclose your personal information (but not sensitive information) to others we have business arrangements with to enable them to offer their products and services to you.
We will not disclose your sensitive information for any purpose, other than the purpose for which it was collected, or a directly related secondary purpose, unless you otherwise consent.
Disclosure to overseas recipients
In some instances, your personal information might be disclosed to other companies and business units in the Allianz Global Assistance Group and the Allianz SE Group, our business partners, reinsurers and service providers that may be located overseas. The countries in which these recipients may be located will vary from time to time, but may include France, Singapore, India, Canada, Germany, New Zealand, United Kingdom, United States of America, Thailand, and other countries where the Allianz Group has a presence (a list of which is available on the Allianz Group website www.allianz.com) or engages subcontractors.
Specifically, we disclose your personal (including sensitive) information to recipients outside of Australia when it is collected for travel or health insurance arranged or managed by us and you require our medical, travel, or related services.
Direct marketing and your privacy
Unless you opt out, we may contact you on an ongoing basis by telephone, mail, electronic messages (including email), online and via other means with promotional material and offers of products or services that we consider may be relevant and of interest to you (including financial and insurance products as well as roadside assistance services and related products). If you do not want to receive such offers from us (including product or service offerings from us on behalf of our agents, intermediaries and/or our business partners) or do not want us to disclose your personal information to our related and group companies and business partners for marketing purposes, you can opt out at any time by writing to “Privacy Officer”, PO Box 162, Toowong, Qld 4066, or by calling us on telephone number 1800 023 767.
We do not use or disclose sensitive information for the purposes of direct marketing.
How do we hold your personal information?
We may hold your personal information in a number of ways, including:
- in our computer systems or databases, which may involve storing data on storage or computer systems provided by third party suppliers;
- in paper records; and/or
- in telephone recordings.
Where it has been collected from our or your agent, or our service providers, they may also hold copies of your personal information.
We may combine personal information we receive about you with other information we hold about you. This includes information received from third parties and information collected for different products and services.
Links to external sites
We may include links to external sites that we consider contain content relevant to the information that you were seeking from us. Where these links occur, we accept no responsibility for the accuracy of the content, the privacy or security of those sites or your reliance on any information contained within any such site.
Contacting us about access to, and correction of, your personal information
Allianz Global Assistance aims to ensure that your personal information is accurate, up to date, complete and relevant. If you would like to seek access to, or revise, your personal information, or feel that the information we currently have on record is incorrect or incomplete, please contact us using the following contact details:
Privacy Officer, PO Box 162 Toowong, Qld, 4066 or by phoning us on 1800 023 767.
Making a complaint
If you believe that we have interfered with your privacy in our handling of your personal information, you may lodge a complaint by contacting us using the above contact details.
We will attempt to resolve your complaint in accordance with our internal complaints resolution process. You can obtain a copy of our complaints resolution process by contacting us.
If you are unhappy with the resolution of your complaint or with the way that Allianz Global Assistance has handled your complaint, you may be able to refer the matter to the Australian Information Commissioner. The contact details for these bodies are as follows:
Office of the Australian Information Commissioner
GPO Box 5218
Sydney NSW 2001
1300 363 992
Our business lines and trading names